In the second issue of The Snollygoster(the Longest Night edition), I introduced a set of rules for drinking in T&T. Here’s a reprint of the article:
“Serious Drinking in T&T
Being an Adventurer is hard work. Finding a decent way to relax is even harder. Imbibing in a drink or two at the local tavern is sometimes the best solution. Whether its to relieve the stress of delving deep and facing constant danger or the simple fact that you just like to party.
Let’s begin our adventure in alcohol by developing a stat by which we can measure our ability to knock back a few. We’ll keep it simple and call it your Drinking Score(DRINK). To find your DRINK add your current Strength to your current Constitution and divide by 2 and round up(to some this arcane method of number divining is called “Finding the Average”). This gives you the base score for your DRINK. Do not base your DRINK on the permanent values of either ability unless they are currently equal to that value.
We are also going to add another stat called Drunkenness(DRUNK) to track our inebriated state. DRUNK starts at 0 for everybody.
So how does this all work? An adventurer needs to make a Saving Roll for every drink they have in an hour. The first drink is a level 1 SR, a second drink is a level 2 SR, and so on. Every time they miss they add a point to their DRUNK score. Once a player has 6 Drunk points they pass out cold for one hour. Players get sober at a rate of 1 Drunk point per hour.
Durd the Drunakrd has a DRINK of 14 and a DRUNK of 0. He takes his first drink and makes a level 1 SR against his DRINK. He rolls a 10 and makes it so his DRUNK stays at 0. On his second drink that hour he makes a level 2 SR and rolls a 9. He missed so the drink starts to affect him and he now has a DRUNK of 1. He misses his third save roll and now his DRUNK is at 2. He has four more drinks and misses all four saves. His DRUNK is now at 6 and good old DRUD passes out at the bar face down in a bowl of Buffalo Hobb dip.
Drinking has a tendency to start fights as well. When Adventurers drink they get boisterous, OK loud, and they tend to fight with more vigor and savagery…to a point and then they just start to get sloppy. If a player has 2-3 DRUNK points they get +2 adds on combat rolls per DRUNK point. They get get -2 for every point over 3. They get -1 on save rolls for every Drunk point they have.”
The rules were adapted from my own game Barbarians, Booze, & Battle Axes!( available here). For B,B, & B, i wrote a small solo to help understand the rule. I converted it to T&T rules for fun. It’s short, really short, and I probably should have expanded it, but here it is:
1. The sun is shining, you have your weapon resting on your shoulder, and you are on your way to The Bloody Grackle for a night of drinking and carousing. Life is good, except there’s this guy in the way. He’s just standing there staring at you. If eyeballs shot daggers he’d be slicing you to ribbons right now.
“Hold it right there.”, he says to you, holding up his right hand.
“Ay, what’s the meaning of this?”, you ask.
“Well well, look at that shiny new weapon and them new duds. Looks like t’me someone fancies themselves a Barbarian don’t they. Tell you what Junior, how about you just hand over the rest a yer gold, or better yet why don’t I just take it from you.”, He says with a laugh turning to a sneer.
Do you give him the gold? If so go to (8) or if you don’t have any and or want to stand your ground and go to (2).
2. “Come on then, take it!”, you growl readying your weapon.
He takes a step toward you. The fight is on! This guy has a CON of 11. He is carrying a club(3+2 combat dice). He is not wearing any armor. If you win go to (5), if not he picks your corpse clean of anything of value.
3. The scream came from a sound in the woods to your left. As you turn to head that way, a girl runs by you screaming her head off. She’s followed by 2 goblins waving daggers trying to chase her down. They stop dead when they see you, look at each other, shrug and charge you. They have a MR of 12 each. If you win you can head to The Bloody Grackle at (4). If you didn’t the goblins drag you corpse off into the woods to take home to their pantry later, then run off after the girl again.
4. The Bloody Grackle is packed, but you manage to get a table near the bar.
“What the bloody Nath are you doing? This is me table your sitting at.” says a man about your size, but with one eye and a nasty scar.”
“Sorry mate, I got here first.” you reply not wanting to move as you’ve noticed that this was the last free table in the place.”
“Oh is that how it’s gonna be huh?” He says as he sits down across from you. “Well then, why don’t we drink for it. Bartender set them up!”
Looks like your going to have a drink off for rights to the table. One Eye’s DRINK is 10. The game is a standard shot for shot contest. You drink one, then he drinks one. Whoever passes out first get’s the boot. Remember to keep track of you DRUNK Points for every drink roll you and he miss. The first one to 6 DRUNK Points passes out and loses. If you win go to (6), if not then go to (7).
5. You find 30GP and a club on him that’s all yours now if you want it. Wiping the blood off your weapon, you hear a scream to your left. If you want to investigate the scream go to ( 3). If you don’t care then head on to The Bloody Grackle at (4).
6. One Eye’s one eye glazes over then he face plants on the table before falling off his chair. A couple of tavern bouncers come over shaking their heads. They pick up One Eye and drag him out to the back alley. Congratulations on finishing your first adventure! Add up any AP points you got for defeating foes and for the drinking game. Add another 50AP just for surviving.
7. You wake up in the back alley with no memory of passing out and being dragged out by bouncers. Too bad, you lost this time. There will be other chances. Add up any AP you earned by defeating foes. At least you have that.
8. You give him the gold. He takes it and then knocks you down and spits on you. His laughter roars through the streets as he turns around and heads for The Bloody Grackle. Seriously? You just gave him the money? Go back and make a real Adventurer. Don’t come back until you ready either.