1. As if the marsh wasn’t bad enough, the rain has started coming down in sheets. You’d still be on the river if that water pig hadn’t charged your boat and broke it to pieces. With no boat that means you are stuck traveling the wide marsh along the left bank of the river. Beyond the marsh is a small swamp and beyond that is the Dread Forrest. It’s called the Dread Forrest because of all of the devils and demons, and worse if you can imagine it, known to haunt the woods and swamp. Even with the water pigs and reptiles, the marsh is still the safer place, no matter what your kin.
You stop for a minute to get your bearings. The last thing you want to do is take a step in the wrong direction and end up in deep water or lost in a haunted swamp. Raising your hand to shield your eyes from the rain you look ahead. You see that the river begins to bend to the right not too far away. You also see a small island in the marsh with what looks like a stone tower, maybe 3 or 4 stories tall, in the middle of it. You can’t make out if there are any windows or not. It doesn’t look too hospitable, but with the rain and night coming soon it might provide shelter, even if you have to fight for it.
You make your way up the marsh to the island. You climb the two foot bank of grass and mud to reach the tower. Looking up at the building you see no windows. You wonder if that means the resident of this tower means to keep something out, or in. A large wooden door, rounded at the top, is in front of you. There is a doorknob and a lock for a key beside it, but on the wrong side of where they should usually be. You try the knob and give a light push, but the door is locked as you expected it to be. As the rain comes down harder. two options come to mind. You can try to pick the lock to open it(11) or give the door a good kick(15).
2. The room you are in is a semi-circle. You face the flat wall with the rest of the room curving behind you. It is sparsely decorated with several paintings on the walls. All the paintings are portraits of men ranging from a very old man to a child of 6. Each face has a strong resemblance to the others. A family perhaps? There is a very ornate, circular rug in the center as well. On the flat wall you are facing are two large oval portals framed in gold. The one on the right is shimmering red. The one on the left is shimmering blue. Knowing, or rather not knowing, what’s outside you erase the main door from your mind as an option. Will you take the red portal(9) or the blue one(7)?
3. This room is empty save for a bed pushed against the one wall and an empty crib in the middle of it. There is a silver one(10) on the one side and a yellow(5) one on the other. If you haven’t opened it already, then the trunk is still there. If you have a key then go to (8). If not then take one of the portals out of the room.
4. The sound from the swamp is now right behind you. Since the door won’t budge, you turn around to face what the fates have brought your way. Your eyes gaze upon the most hideous monstrosity that they have ever seen. The creature snorts then lets out a deep guttural growl as it takes a step towards you. You gulp and ready your weapon, preparing for the worst. The creature takes another step forward backing you up against the door.
Suddenly the door springs open and you fall back into the tower. The creature is as surprised as you and begins to charge. The door slams shut and an iron bar slides across it. You hear the creature hit the door with a loud thump then the splashes as it wanders away back into the swamp. Go to (2).
5. You have entered a room filled with toys. There are stuffed trolls and other creatures scattered around the room. Carved toy knights and monsters, wooden wagons and horses, as well as books and puzzles are strewn all over the floor. There are a few tables around. Some have blankets stacked on them or towels. The room is a semi-circle room. Where other rooms had a flat wall this one has a smaller curved wall with to flat ends on each side. There are two portals on each of the flat parts of the inner wall. One shimmers with yellow and the other with blue.
Roll 1d6 regardless of how many times you’ve been here. If you roll odds you have tripped a protection spell in the room and 1d6 of the stuffed creatures(MR 10 each) attack you. If you roll evens or win the battle then you may continue on and go through the yellow(12) or blue(6) portals.
6. This room has two flat walls forming a right angle in the center. One wall has a red portal in its center. The other wall has a yellow one. The third wall curves around the back connecting them. Cobwebs and dust cover several decrepit swords, staffs, and maces that are affixed to the curved wall. None of which look to be of any use. A large circle is painted in the middle of the room, with a much smaller circle in it’s center. Regardless of whether you have been here before or not, a mist forms in the middle of the center circle that soon takes the shape of a warrior the same size as you, but made of wood. He holds a very metal sword however. It dawns on you that this must be some kind of training room for battle. A spell that summons the wooden warrior must be activated every time someone enters this room. The warrior stands still as if waiting for you to enter the circle. You can go through the red portal (18) or the yellow one (5). You may also test your skills against the wooden warrior if you’d like by entering the circle. The warrior has a MR of 20. The density of it’s wood gives it -2 hits of protection. If you win the fight the warrior and it’s sword vanish in a mist. You can now choose one of the portals to go through. The warrior will not appear again until you enter the room again. If you lose, both you and the warrior disappear in a sorcerous mist.
7. This room has two flat walls forming a right angle in the center. One wall has a red portal in its center. The other wall has a blue one. The third wall filled with book shelves curves around the back connecting them. The room has a rather musty smell to it. A rather large wooden desk is in the center covered in old papers. Upon inspection the paper appear to be manuscripts written in a tongue not familiar to you. One in particular has three diagrams depicting combinations of a red, blue, and yellow orbs in sets of two. The chair at the table has several books piled up int the seat, as if someone small used them to be able to reach the table. Candles, long since extinguished, are all around the room in sconces and on the desk in various degrees of melting. If you have been here before then you can go through the red(18) or blue (2) portal. If this is your first time in the room go to (13).
8. You open the trunk to find three items. One is a dagger in a metal sheath that flames when drawn in front of an enemy(4+2 dice damage and worth 300GP). Next is a golden ring of protection(takes 5 hits and must be worn on a bare hand and worth 277 GP). Lastly is a gauntlet of turning(just 1 and it wards off undead or unholy creatures of an MR20 or less when raised before them. It’s worth 410GP). Once the last item is removed the key begins to glow. Soon the glowing encompass the entire trunk until it and the key vanish from sight. With nothing else left in the room besides an empty crib and a bed, you can go through the silver portal(10) or the yellow one(5).
9. This room is a semi-circle. This was obviously a kitchen. The shelves are empty. The counters are filthy with dust and mold. The ovens decrepit from non-use. The only thing shining in this dark room are the two portals on the flat wall. If you have been here before you can go through the blue one on the right(6) or the blue one on the left(2). If you haven’t been here before go to (14).
10. You have entered a small circular room. There is nothing here save for three pedestals with orbs on top. The orbs are colored blue, red, and yellow. You touch one orb and it glows brightly with it’s color. You wonder what would happen if you touched two at the same time. If you touch the red and blue go to (19). If you touch the Yellow and Red go to (17). If you touch the blue and yellow go to (16).
11. Make a L2SR against your DEX score, adding any bonuses you have if Lock Picking is one of your talents or skills. If you make it then you hear the click of the mechanism unlocking and you are now able to open the door and go in (2). If not you can try again or go to (15) and try kicking the door in.
12. If you’ve been here before go to (3). If not then continue reading.
Coming through the portal brings you to a semi-circle room. Where other rooms had a flat wall this one has a smaller curved wall with to flat ends on each side. A large bed has been pushed to the one side, as if to get it out of the way. It looks like there may have been other pieces of furniture in the room at one time by the markings on the floor. Other than the bed, there is only a baby’s crib. A faint bluish glow emanates from within the crib. You look in to see a baby sleeping in a bath of light. This was the last thing you were ever expecting to find in a place like this. You peer into the crib again to make sure you are seeing this right. This time you find the baby looking right at you. The eyes somehow seem old to you, filled with knowledge of a long life, like the gaze of an old teacher. The baby smiles at you with a seemingly knowing smile, The glow around the baby brightens, so bright you have to back up and shield your eyes.
The light goes out. You uncover your eyes and approach the crib finding it empty. Whatever had just happened has left as a mystery, leaving you to only wonder.
Something shiny catches your eye from underneath the crib. It’s a locked trunk adorned with shiny trimmings. You try the lid but it won’t budge. A keyhole on the lock looks hopeful. Any attempts to pick the lock prove fruitless. If you have a key go to (8). If not then you give up and start thinking that maybe it’s time to just get out of here. You look around to see if the room has any portals. There is a silver one(10) on the one side and a yellow(5) one on the other.
13. As you shuffle through the manuscripts, a mist begins to form on top of the desk. It keeps getting denser until it finally takes humanoid shape. Apparently the desk had some sort of protection spell placed on it. The mist becomes solid to reveal the form of a bluish green impish like creature. It reveals it’s sharp claws and teeth as it spreads it’s wings and lunges at you. Make a L1SR against SPEED. If you miss the creature gets a first strike in and you take 2 points of CON damage. The flying spawn of black sorcery has an MR of 18. If you defeat it you can go through the red(18) or blue (2) portal, otherwise your adventure ends here I’m afraid.
14. You hear a sloshing and scraping sound coming from the one corner, that begins to move in your direction. A large blue, green, and black mass is coming rather quickly between you and the portals. It has an MR of 16(fire spells can do an extra die of damage but TTYF only does half damage…shhh don’t tell anyone). If you defeat whatever it was then go back to (9) and choose a portal to go through. If it defeats you, then it eats you.
15. Make a L1Sr against STR. If you miss, keep trying because the noises from the swamp are getting louder, or is it just closer. If you miss 3 times in a row go to (4). If you make it you manage to loosen the latch enough that the door swings open. Once inside you are able to shut it again. There is an iron bar that you are able to pull across the door. You are glad it wasn’t on the door when you tried to kick it in. You hope it’s strong enough to keep out whatever was making those sounds. Go to (2).
16. The room fills with green light. Though you are standing still, hands still on the orbs, you feel as if you are being pulled somewhere. As the light fades and flickers away, a sense of relief rushes over you. You find yourself home, wherever home may be.
17. The room fills with orange light. Though you are standing still, hands still on the orbs, you feel as if you are being pulled somewhere. As the light fades and flickers away, you being to feel like you are in a place unfamiliar to you, but only slightly. You find yourself on a road. The sun is shining bright. The air, however, smells like farmland. A sign on the side of the road reads “Dimble, 5 miles”. Thinking it might be a good place to start looking for some answers about where you are and how you can get home, you head towards the Town of Dimble.
Just outside of town an old woman stops you dead.
“Aye, there ya are. I been lookin’ all over for ya.” She croaks at you.
“Me?” You ask being quite puzzled. Somehow you know this might not end good.
18. This room is a semi-circle. Great bookshelves line the curved wall. Stacks of musty old books are piled on the shelves. There are a few smaller bookcases scattered around the middle of the room as well. There are two small tables with plain chairs, one on each side of the room. In the middle is a great chair with red plush cushions. A table is beside the chair with a few books on it. The top book is open to a page of crude infantile drawings. Flipping back through the book the drawings seem to get better, much more artistic the further back you go. At the front of the book it looks like a big chuck of pages have been torn out. The first page currently in the book says simply that the process must be stopped. If you haven’t been here before make a L2SR against your luck. If you make it go to (20). If you miss the roll or have been here before then you can go through either the blue portal on the right (6) or the blue portal on the left(7) on the flat wall.
19. The room fills with purple light. Though you are standing still, hands still on the orbs, you feel as if you are being pulled somewhere. As the light fades and flickers away, you being to feel like you are no longer in the world you knew. Your nerves are full on tingling. You look around you and find you are in a place you could never imagine. Strange creatures, though some look familiar, mill around you as if you are not there. You quickly get your wits about you and realize you better figure out just where you are. Little do you realize that your new life will take you on an adventure in the 9000 Worlds!
20. As you further rummage through the books on the table, you find a silver key. Thinking it might be useful somewhere down the line, you pick it up and put it someplace safe. Go back to (18) and pick a portal to go through.